If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at email@example.com
The International Center of Expertise in Montreal on Artificial Intelligence (CEIMIA) is committed to protecting the personal data of users of its website, which is an essential tool for advancing our mission and programme of work.
Regarding your data protection rights, you have the following entitlements:
- Access and Rectification: You have the right to request access to or obtain a copy of the information we hold about you. Additionally, you can ask us to correct any inaccuracies in your data.
- Erasure or Restriction: Under certain circumstances, you can request the deletion of your data or restrict our processing of it. However, please note that we may be obligated to retain certain data that we are required to process.
- Objection to Processing: In certain situations, you have the right to request the cessation of processing your data.
- Data Portability: Under specific circumstances, you can ask us to transfer your data to yourself or another organization.
If you are unsatisfied with how we handle your data, you have the right to contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner at 1-800-282-1376. However, we encourage you to reach out to us first so that we can attempt to resolve the issue to your satisfaction.
How we collect and use personal data
We collect personal data through the use of our website in two ways: data you directly provide to us and data generated by your activity on the website.
Data you directly provide: You can choose to voluntarily provide us personal data in the context of subscribing to online newsletters. This data enables us to provide the services you have requested and may include your name,email address and your preferred language.
Data generated by your activity: In order to ensure the effective functioning and security of our website and to better understand visitor behavioural patterns, as you browse our website we automatically collect:
- Log information such as the pages you visit, the time/date of your visit as well as your internet prototcol (IP) address.
- Device and software information such as your browser specifications and operating system
This information is collected through the use of various technologies, including cookies, which are small text files stored in your browser.
You provide us your data on a voluntary basis, but if you prefer not to, please note that we might not be able to provide you with our services.
Purpose, lawful basis and retention periods
We only process your personal data when we have a purpose and a lawful basis for doing so. As a rule, personal data should not be processed and kept for longer than necessary to fulfill the purpose for processing.
Your personal data is only retained for as long as we have a purpose and a lawful basis:
- Until you withdraw your consent (e.g. for email marketing)
- For as long as we have a legal obligation; in accordance with accounting and bookkeeping rules and/or other legal requirements and regulations (e.g. for employment)
- For as long as we have a legitimate interest or until you ask us not to process your data in such a way (e.g. marketing to existing customers)
You can always withdraw your consent for any data processing based on consent, and you can also reach out to us at any time if you’d like us to stop processing and/or ask us to delete any of your data.
We have routines in place to ensure that personal data is deleted from all relevant systems when we no longer have a purpose and/or legal basis to continue to process them.
Process and storage of your personal data
In general, access to your personal data is limited to appropriate staff within the organisation. In some circumstances we make your data available outside CEIMIA, such as for:
Email communications: We use third party services [Mailchimp] for sending bulk email communications such as newsletters, platform alerts, and event notifications. These services store contact information that you provide to us via the website as well as information about your interactions with these emails; such as opens and clicks.
Online surveys: We occasionally use [Jotform] to run online surveys of user views.
To carry out our activities efficiently and securely, we sometimes will have to share your personal data with other parties such as:
- Public authorities we are obliged to report to
- Members of our networks who review and evaluate your submission
- Partners who we collaborate with to organize events or create intellectual products
- Our accountant, auditor, lawyer and others helping us in a professional capacity
- Data processors: providers of services that process your personal data on our behalf
- IT support, if necessary
- We require that all such recipients secure data in accordance with good information security.
We process personal data when:
- You participate in our networks
- You communicate with us
- You apply for a job at our organization
- You subscribe to our email newsletter
- You respond to our evaluations our surveys
- You use our website
For more details on how exactly we process you personal data through these previously mentioned activities, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated June 28, 2023